Llanybydder is an historic market town sitting on the river Teifi, which descends from the Cambrian mountains, providing peaceful walks as well as the opportunity to watch the soaring Red Kites.
It is known internationally for its monthly horse fair, the last Thursday of every month, attracting buyers from far and wide. It is also home to Jen Jones (and her Welsh Quilts and Blankets Cottage Shop) who has been awarded the Royal Warrant as supplier of historic Welsh quilts, blankets and antique and vintage textiles to His Royal Highness, the Prince of Wales.
Llanybydder’s history includes the Roman “Pen y Gaer”, a Scheduled Monument, comprising the remains of a defended enclosure which probably dates to the Iron Age and the Grade II listed St Peter’s church which is of medieval origin.
Enjoy a delicious meal whilst taking in the ambiance of history in the listed Cross Hands Hotel or at the Black Lion Hotel. Llanybydder is also close to Brechfa Forest with its mountain bike tracks and stunning scenery and walks and the University town of Lampeter. Plenty of welcoming accommodation, and a selection of individual shops. Free parking is available in the village as well as being on a bus route.
There is evidence of an iron age settlement on the hill that overlooks the town. Highmead, formerly the country mansion Dolau Mawr, built in 1777, was most recently a centre of religious studies for the Muslim faith but is unoccupied as of early 2017.
Llanybydder gained a connection to the national rail network on the Manchester and Milford Railway in 1867; this was originally part of an ill-fated scheme to link Manchester to the deepwater port at Milford Haven. However, financial pressures led the route to be diverted to Aberystwyth, and it remained a cross country route, with passenger services running until flooding severely damaged the line south of Aberystwyth in December 1964. The cost of repairs to a little-used rural line was deemed prohibitive, and although a limited service continued running from Carmarthen to Tregaron for another few months this was the era of the Beeching Axe. The line was closed to passengers in February 1965.
Llanybydder War Memorial
The rural town of Llanybydder lies on the main road from Carmarthen to Lampeter. The War Memorial in Llanybydder is sited on the cross-road in the centre of the Village, alongside the main road to Lampeter.
For more information please visit the Llanybydder War Memorial page on the West Wales War Memorial Project website.
Rhydcymerau is a small village 8.5 kilometres to the south-east of Llanybydder, around the side of Mynydd Llanybydder.
Rhydcymerau is the birthplace of prominent Welsh writer and nationalist David John Williams, one of three saboteurs of the Penyberth bombing school in 1936. Two of his autobiographical volumes, Hen Dŷ Ffarm (“The Old Farmhouse”, 1953) and Yn Chwech ar Hugain Oed (“Twenty-Six Years Old”, 1959) give a portrait of life in this small town at the turn of the twentieth century.